Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First OB visit today!

We both really really like our OB. One thing that really comforted me is that he is one of the only doctors left that will come in after hours to deliver your baby. He said last year, he only didn't make it to about 3 or 4 of his births.

The appointment took an hour and a half. We gave our medical history to the nurse, and then the doc came in. He gave me a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting," which I already own, but I didn't realize he gave me a copy until I looked in the bag that he gave us when we got home. Oh well, now I have two. He explained a lot of stuff to us about the optional tests and what I can and can't do during pregnancy. He told uswhat will happen at each of our appointments. I was a little disappointed that he only plans on doing one ultrasound (unless for some reason more are necessary) at 20 weeks. We have to wait three more months to see our little monkey! Then we listened to see if we could hear a heartbeat, but at 5 weeks, it's just too early. Next, we went to the appointment desk and made our next appointment for December 23rd. Then, we headed to the lab for bloodwork. They drew four tubes of blood and I peed in a cup.

This whole pregnancy thing seems so real now! By the end of the week, both of our entire families will know. I am a little nervous for the next appointment. I know I shouldn't worry because it won't do any good, but I'm so very afraid to have a miscarriage. I am terrified that there won't be a heartbeat at our next appoinment. And even worse, it would happen two days before Christmas. But I know that it's more likely that we will hear the heartbeat and it will be an amazing Christmas present. And by that time, I'll be 9 weeks, so I'll be 3 weeks away from being out of the red zone for a miscarriage.

And good news! No morning sickness... yet. I sure hope it stays that way.

No comments: