Monday, November 3, 2008

Back to Life

Well, today was the funeral. The singing went well. I didn't choke up, my voice just quivered a few times because I was trying to keep from crying. I almost felt a little guilty getting so much attention at my cousin's funeral. Most of my family had never heard me sing before. Those were the best reactions. The organist tried to recruit me for a singing group she's in called the Sweet Adelines. She said they needed a "nice clear lead voice." I'd love to join, but the youngest person in that group is probably 30 years older than me and I think I'd feel weird. My uncle also invited me to join his band, however, I don't really think they play my type of music. And now my two aunts are determined to get me to sing at their church for mass on Sundays. To be honest, I miss all the attention from my singing, but again, I felt guilty.

The bad thing was that I had to sit in the choir loft with only the organist. I felt kind of alone. When I went down and met my family after the funeral, my mom hugged me and I just started balling. Probably because I had to hold it all in while I was singing, so when it was over, I just let it all out. It's amazing how much better a person feels after a funeral. It really does help with closure.

I still can't believe he's gone. We found out that his heart attack was due to something called Fibronous Pericarditis. He had little fibers in the sack around his heart (pericardium) that constrict the heart. I guess something like 90% of people who have this are diagnosed post-mortem.

On a happier note, I got a Kitchen Aid mixer yesterday! I was so excited! My parents bought it for me for my birthday. My birthday isn't until December 26th, but I mentioned that I really wanted to buy one for my holiday baking, and my mom thought it would be a good idea to give it to me as an early birthday present. I already love it so much. I made cookies last night, and today I made onion buns, which turned out more like biscuits, but James loved them. The dough hook is AWESOME! I really like making bread and pizza dough and stuff, but I always hated having to put flour all over the counter and kneed it. Now the dough hook on my KA mixer will do all the work for me! Seriously, if you like to bake and you don't have one, you should.

No comments: