Monday, October 20, 2008

Fitness Evaluation

Ok, here's some backstory to this post:
I am overweight. I could stand to lose about 70 lbs (yikes). I was about 50 lbs lighter at my wedding, and I felt great, so if I could get back there I'd be thrilled.

Here's the rest:
Last month, I joined a gym with my mom. This gym requires you to have an initial fitness evaluation, and then you can be re-evaluated every once in a while to see your progress. The physical therapist (Jeff) did a body fat test (the pinch kind), some flexibility stuff, some heart rate related tests, etc... I felt like he was very thorough. He had another PT shadowing him (Jennifer) who had just been hired. They were both really really nice.

After he gave me my results, he asked me if there were any obstacles that I'd like to discuss. I told him that James and I are TTC, and I'm so glad I did. He told me that he'd research it more. Jennifer, however, needed to do no research. She told me that she was in the same position as me where she was TTC and trying to lose weight at the same time because they were having trouble. Jeff then handed me over to her because she knows exactly what I'm going through. My next appointment with her is on Friday. I am so happy about this because she will help me know what I should/should not do, what my HR should stay at, etc.

This cycle has been such an emotional roller coaster. I think I am a lot more emotional during this AF than any other I've had. We've only been trying for four cycles (this will be our fifth) and I know it's not that long, but then something will happen to scare the ever lovin' sh!t out of me, and then I'll think it's not a big deal again. For example, I had my annual exam and my nurse practitioner told me to see a doc if I haven't conceived after six months. That freaked me out. Then I found out that it took my mom almost a year to get pg with my brother, and I felt better. Then, today, after I told Jeff and Jennifer that we'd been trying since July, they both started telling me about each of their struggles with TTC. They really acted like four months was a long time and that I was having "trouble" getting pg. Then I was freaked out again. Plus, this is the first time that I really admitted that my weight could very well be the problem, and that makes me feel horrible.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

i'm right there with ya sister! although i know for certain my weight is part of the problem...i was diagnosed w/pcos. everything i've heard says that losing 10% of your body weight can help so much, so that's my (first) goal!

if you don't mind, i'm going to add you to my blog roll...i've enjoyed your blogs on the nest and it would be great to have someone i can relate to! :)

Shannon said...

oh yeah, ps...4 months is not long at all. this is going to be month...8? 9? for us and i have yet to even have a period on my own. i know it's easier said than done, but try not to get worried until there's a reason to worry :) most dr's recommend waiting 1 yr of ttc before doing any testing, so don't let the nurse bug ya either!